Experienced Marine Mechanic
Marion, MA 02738
Burr Brothers Boats, Inc. is a family owned and operated, full-service yacht yard located on Sippican Harbor in Marion, MA. We employ 40 skilled craftsmen to service yachts up to 65 feet. The focus of our operation is to provide maintenance, repair and renovation to customers who wants to keep up the value of their yachts and enjoy trouble free boating.
We value stability with a goal of giving our employees a lifelong career. We have several current employees who have been with us over 25 years and many employees who have been with us for their entire career. Burr Brothers Boats offers a generous bonus and profit sharing program, top annual salaries for hard working technicians, a 401k plan and exceptional health benefits.
We are currently seeking an experienced Marine Mechanic available to work Monday through Friday (core hours 8:00am – 4:30pm), and Saturdays from 8:00am – 12:00pm as work flow permits. Additional overtime opportunities may be available.
The ideal candidate will have applicable experience working with marine mechanical systems or similar systems on heavy machinery, large gas/diesel engines, etc. Our Marine Mechanics must be highly organized, neat by habit, enjoy trouble shooting, be able to work effectively in tight spaces, easily follow direction and have dependable character. The successful candidate will have solid mechanical experience but will also be looking to continuously improve and learn new skills.
- Understanding of diesel and/or gas engines
- Ability to identify and locate parts on an engines and other mechanical systems
- Experience operating boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests
- Willingness to learn, listen and take direction
- Experience with I/O and/or pod drives a plus
- Ability to lift fifty pounds when needed, move around a dock, on a ladder, or in a tight space while remaining safe and without damaging property
- Desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to keep track and write down work performed and parts used.
- Must be able to work well with all members of our team
- Ability to follow written work orders, take notes while performing work and communicate the work performed effectively to service writers, foreman and occasionally the customer.
- Experience in a boat yard/marina is a plus
- Dedication to perform their job well while keeping a positive attitude
- Follow established policies and procedures as they are specified so coworkers can rely on their actions
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Bring boats in/out from dock for test runs
- Perform preventive maintenance, such as, fuel/oil changes, filter changes, replacement of raw water pump impellers, change zincs, etc.
- Run engines and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning, such as smoke, excessive vibration, or misfiring
- Conduct tests to locate mechanical systems malfunctions and troubleshoot
- Adjust carburetor mixtures, electrical point settings, or timing while motors are running
- Inspect, repair and/or adjust propellers, propeller shafts, stuffing boxes and engine alignment
- Repair engine mechanical equipment such as power tilts, bilge pumps or power take offs
- Perform various plumbing work for sanitation systems
- Assemble, dismantle and/or reassemble engines as needed
- Maintain small engines and the necessary plumbing and electrical systems associated with them